Tuesday 6 October 2015

I wandered lonely as a cloud.


When I came back from my UTMB failure I went a bit mad entering things. This race looked like it could be interesting, and I'd never given Skyrunning a try. Plus, I'd always fancied a run in the lakes. What more excuse does a girl need?

I travelled up on the Friday morning and went and recce'd the Scafell climb. It was wonderful! I could feel myself getting more and more excited, and I really had to resist the temptation to carry on running all afternoon!

On Saturday I recce'd the Helvelyn climb. The photo below is better than me trying to explain the wonder of the experience.


Sunday morning, 5am. We set off from Keswick and were quickly off the tarmac and onto forest paths. The first section to Scafell was all runnable, and along some lovely trails underfoot with boulders to jump, undulating sections that made you feel like you were on a rollercoaster and the hint of the sunrise promising a wonderful day ahead!

The climbing started from Seathwaite. I found that I could run most of the initial ascent up to Styehead Tarn, wondering if I would regret this later as I caught up and then overtook a group of guys ahead of me. But I knew that the pain would be on the descents and flat sections, so I decided to just let my body go with it and enjoy the climbs.

The corridor route to the start of the final Scafell climb was a treat! Ridges to clamber along, boulders to hop off, real hands and knees stuff! So THIS is why people love Skyrunning! I hadn't had this much fun since the Borriol Mountain Marathon!!

I made it comfortably up to the summit of Scafell having overtaken around 5 guys on the climb. A couple of them then overtook me on the decent, as I minced my way down a terrifying vertical scree slope and then scrambled around on some boulders on top of another peak. How do the fell runners throw themselves down this stuff so fast?! I followed a chap who was really motoring along on the next undulating section along some peaty paths and then hit another climb. I met another couple of guys here, and got chatting. I'm not usually that sociable during runs, preferring to just get into my own little world of pain and euphoria. But I really, really enjoyed the company of these guys all the way down the decent, through some deep bogs and seriously lumpy terrain to the base of the Helvellyn climb.

One of the blokes I was running with (I'm really sorry, I never asked your name!) started the Helvellyn climb just ahead of me, saying that he wanted to get a head-start on me so we could run along The Dodds together. Ah, that's nice!! I never really thought of anyone enjoying my company during a race, I always alternate between silly and grumpy! We climbed up, chatting for a bit and marvelling at the view. Unfortunately I was still in the power-up mode, and so I lost him on the climb. This is when I noticed Dave Troman. Bright blue shorts. About 5 minutes ahead of me. And that is where he remained for the rest of the race!

I hit the summit of Helvellyn and then set off along The Dodds. About 30 minutes later I started to feel a bit funny. I was sure I'd been keeping on top of my nutrition...or had I? 5 minutes later I fell over. I didn't trip, my legs just gave way. I stood up again and tried to keep on running. This bit was flat. But I couldn't run. Nope, definitely not keeping on top of my nutrition. I frantically searched my bag for stuff I could eat, and settled on a 9 bar and half a block of Kendle Mint Cake. 10 minutes and a bit of staggering later I felt the effects kick in and suddenly I was off again.

I got to the top of Clough Head, and at that point I lost the path. After running around the top for a bit I saw it. I'd been warned about this decent, but I was still shocked. That's a cliff, not a slope!! Grassy, sheer, with some mildly interested sheep dotted down it. Well, at least I'd have something soft to land on if I fell!


I started to edge downwards. No blue shorts in sight. Damn it, I'd lost the guy ahead of me. As the slope started to flatted a little, I started to run and caught my right foot on a boulder. I'd already gone over on this ankle twice on the night section, and it was feeling pretty sore. This time my ankle twisted and I heard a crack. I collapsed, grabbing my ankle and rolled around like an injured footballer for a bit, before I realised that wasn't getting me anywhere. A few minutes of limping and I found that thankfully there was no serious damage. It was bloody sore, but I could still run on it. Mental note to self - when I go back to do this race next year, I am going down this descent on my arse!!

The next section was a flat 4 miles to the base of Skiddaw. I was feeling pretty sore in the usual places, and very tired. I plodded up to the checkpoint at Latrigg ready for the final climb. 'See you in a couple of hours' the marshal said. A couple?! I thought this last bit would only take me an hour or so! Talk about misjudging distance! I didn't realise that there was a few miles of runnable path before the final climb started. I struggled along, definitely feeling the effects of my early power-climbs. The path was undulating and rocky, the kind I usually love to run, but I was getting very tired. I had a couple of shotblocs which gave me a little boost, but was very happy to hit the base of the climb. This one was different to Scafell and Helvellyn, the path was mud and grass rather than paved/boulders. It reminded me of the coastpath climbs between St Gennys and Bostcastle. Except that it went on and on and on! I could still climb well though, so really got stuck into it. As I neared the top I saw a figure standing on the summit silhouetted against the sky...what a sight! A moment or two later and the figure gracefully leapt of the cairn and ran over the horizon. That HAD to be Sally (Sally Fawcett, fell-runner and fellow GB trail team member)!! That girl is like a gazelle on the hills! She had been competing in the fell relay in Patterdale that morning, and had come over for a jaunt up Skiddaw to meet me. Sure enough as I got to the summit there she was! She offered to keep me company on the final decent. I felt pretty good at first particularly when Keswick came into view! But I think we set off a little fast, because despite the runnable nature of the descent, I suddenly I felt that horrible hypo feeling again. I couldn't run, and I thought I was going to pass out! Sally patiently waited for me to stand and sway pathetically for a bit whilst filling up on calories, then led me on down the hill to Latrigg. From here it was a gentle downhill along forest paths back to the centre of Keswick, and FINISH!

This event was spectacular. The course included just about every different kind of terrain you could imagine running on. Boulders and ridges, bogs, forest path, scree slopes and grassy trails. The Marshals were fantastic and really friendly. The finish included hot soup and a massage, and for me a pint, fish and chips, and a chance to catch up with Sally. And finishing in the centre of Keswick was amazing, with loads of friendly passers-by cheering and chatting to us afterwards.

Thanks so much to the event sponsors, Suunto, Leki and Petzl for the amazing prizes!


Thanks High Terrain events, for a wonderful day! This one is definitely on the calendar for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment