Saturday 26 March 2016

Big gym

It's been a busy week, which is brilliant, makes time pass so much faster! I'm now 3 weeks from my second operation with only 3 weeks to go until (hopefully) I can start rehab!!

Monday, I went back to work, for the second time. I was so happy to be back again, I was really worried that after my re-fracture they wouldn't let me back on crutches. It felt great to be back again (again!). Friendly faces, hugs from friends and colleagues, feeling like I had purpose. Moving around in the hospital still fills me with a lot of anxiety, and so I'm lucky to be allowed to stay in one place doing discharge paperwork.

Tuesday was my birthday. I had been a bit worried about this, as every year since I turned 30 I've done a race to mark my birthday. I was prepared to feel quite sad this year. However, I had promised myself that I would enjoy the day the best I could, and try not to worry! This started with me having chocolate cake in bed at 5:30am. I've been trying to go easy on cake since this accident happened. For the past few years I've taken for granted the fact that my daily calorie expenditure is such that I can eat anything I like. Without this to fall back on I've been far stricter with my diet. But, it was my birthday, so I was going to eat whatever the hell I wanted with no guilt. And I did, I really did!! The day finished with a meal at 15 with Jason and my Mum and Dad. It was wonderful! If I'm honest, I think I probably enjoyed all the food even more than usual because it was such a treat now that I'm being more careful of what I eat!

And, to top off a fantastic birthday week, on Thursday morning at 6:30am (which was our normal routine) Jason took me to the gym. I cannot express my excitement. I've been regularly going to the gym in the morning before work for the past 4 years, so I know a lot of the other regulars. Jason had told a lot of them about my accident, so I didn't have to go through the story again and again, I just got loads of good wishes and people saying how amazing it was that I was going to the gym on one leg which made me feel really good about myself. I heard a really encouraging story from one guy there who was once told after a back injury that he would never run again and has since run a 2:40 marathon. All these little bits of positivity help me stay focused on recovery and make me realise that a lot of this will be about what I make of it. I know my patella is rogered. I know the articular surface is messed up and that I'll get problems with arthritis. I know that there were a few bits of it that were so smashed that they had to be removed or just left with no fixation because they were too small to fix. But I also know that every race I've run in the past year, I've run with screaming pain in my back and right hamstring, pain which I have just learned to put up with. If I can put up with that, then I can also put up with whatever pain I'm left with when this knee is healed. For me, pain is part of endurance running, and something to expect and deal with mentally.

In the gym I put one-legged erging to the test. The trick is to have a towel under your bad foot which lets it slide along the floor with no resistance. Then you can just ignore this leg, letting it slide back and forward whilst you row with your good leg, arms and torso. I  imagine it's probably the most 'whole-body' workout that you can get whilst on one leg. I can manage this for about 30 minutes before my left leg starts to really cramp up from the intense work and unaccustomed position.  After this I spent some time playing with the hand cycle in the gym which is a really massive version of my one at home, and gives a really good high intensity workout.
I could have stayed in the gym playing on stuff all day, I finally felt like I was at least a fraction of the athlete I was before this happened. I went back on the Friday for more!

So, now I know what's possible, I'll see you down the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment