Wednesday 24 February 2016

70 degrees of freedom

Again, the feeling like being a toddler on Christmas eve...
Thursday is the day I get to set my brace from 30 to 70 degrees of flexion.
'Progress!!' my mind screams, and I feel one step closer to running the moors again!

I need something like this this week.. It's spring. Autumn and spring are my favourite times of year to run. The changing weather and with it the changing trails give me a feeling of joy, peace, happiness and makes my soul feel open to the world. It's one of the very few times that I feel part of anything, like I belong to the earth.

So, the recent change in weather, the lengthening evenings, the sprouting plants, the buzz coming up through the earth...and being unable to run on it...it's driving me mad! Like a terrible itch that I just can't scratch, or a glass of water that is just out of my reach!  So far I've been trying to deal with this by burying my head in the sand, keeping the curtains closed, ignoring the sunshine and cursing the singing birds every morning. My weekly alcohol intake has definitely increased as I try to numb the call of the trails.

I've been trying to scratch the itch with my evening workout regime. I've got some pretty good sessions going now, with the help of Jason as a sparring partner. Getting my heart rate up a little and breaking out into a light sweat, it does make me feel a little better and takes my mind off my loss.

But, nothing replaces the trail.
So yesterday I went for a walk. Well, a hop. Off-road. And it was.....well, it was wonderful. I put my long-distance playlist on my MP3 player (lots of hypnotic music. Gregorian chant, Byrd, Tallis, John Tavener and Arvo Paart.). I left the road through our village and I went up one of the trails and through the fields. I got stuck in the mud, I sat on a gate and watched the birds, I washed my crutches in the stream.
And so I discovered that I can find peace and contentment, even when I'm not running. I can even get a fleeting sense of the meditative state that I feel during an ultra. It's a very, very valuable lesson to learn
Always there for me. 

Stuck-in-the-mud


Now, to 70 degrees of flexion, and whatever the next stage of my recovery brings!

Victories:
Learning that I can find at the very least a shadow of my running contentment by being in the right environment, at the right time, with the right music and the right frame of mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment