Monday 22 February 2016

Things you shouldn't say to an injured runner - warning, sense of humour failure!

Below are a selection of comments I've had from a few *less than* thoughtful people since this happened (none of whom are at all likely to be people who would read this blog which is why I'm happy to publish them!)

In each case what I really wanted to do was to pull the person inside my mind and let them feel my pain and loss at not being able to run, and the effect their comment has had on my psyche. Or maybe to invite them to witness me sobbing uncontrollably during my designated 'sadness' times. Then maybe just think a little.


1. 'It's the worst patella fracture I've ever seen. This is going to really affect your running.'
This statement comes under the headings 'blunt' 'thoughtless' and 'stating the bloody obvious'. Yes, my entire knee is going to function differently. And you think that will impact on my ability to run? Wow, you frickin' genius.

2. 'At least you'll lose that terrible gaunt runner physique, and become more womanly.'
So I'm going to be unable to run, AND I'll get fat? Double whammy saying this to a runner who used to be anorexic!

3. 'All that training and you won't be able to compete this year'
Yes, I had realised that, but thanks SO much for reminding me.

4. 'Well that's your cardiovascular fitness out of the window. No amount of weight training can maintain that without your running'
And my resting heart rate used to be 45 and is currently 70. How about you give me another kick while I'm down?

5. 'Hey, tried running yet' - followed by a wink and a laugh
No. No I haven't. I'm not weight bearing, my knee is only flexed to a max of 30 degrees, and I know that it's going to be another 4-6 months before I can even contemplate this. But, hey, GREAT joke!! What do you mean, 'sense of humour failure'?!

Each of these comments has elicited the same response from me. 'Yes, it is terrible. But it could have been worse, I could have cracked my skull open or snapped my neck'.

In short, we runners are a physically tough but sometimes emotionally sensitive breed, and sometimes, just sometimes, it's better to think about the impact of what you're saying on a delicate and endorphin-deficient mental state.
Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment