Thursday 11 February 2016

Not for the faint hearted

Just a warning before you read this...it contains details which will not be at all surprising to anyone of a medical background, but may be slightly shocking to those that aren't.
I'm going to talk about my bowels.
Yes, I am.

Since the accident, I'd been using quite a lot of opiate analgaesia to manage the pain. This started with a lovely dose of IV morphine from the guys in resus, and continued with frequent doses of Oramorph and Tramadol when I got up to the ward (I was initially given codeine, but it had no effect on the pain. Interestingly my dad also reports no analgaesic response to codeine. A quick tutorial, codeine is a pro-drug and only becomes active when it converted to morphine by your body. Around 6-10% of the population have an abnormally functioning gene for, and therefore have reduced levels of the enzyme that converts the pro-drug, and so for them codeine has limited effect as an analgaesic. I'm assuming both my dad and I fall into this group)

When I got home from the hospital I was using 20-30mg of oramorph every 4 hours. The pain was so bad I felt like I wanted to use more, but having never had opiate analgaesia before in my life I was worried about how my body would handle such high doses anyway, and I was concerned about becoming tolerant to the effects and therefore being left with pain that didn't respond to the drug. I was also prescribed tramadol, but knew that there was a risk of interactions between that and my regular antidepressants so I didn't want to use too much of that.

I was interested to see how my body handled the new experience of opiates. With the first few doses in the hospital I felt quite swimmy and sleepy, but not in a particularly comfortable way. They also left me feeling just on the edge of losing control of my body, which is an experience I hated. This was particularly noticeable with the fentanyl I was given prior to anaesthetic. I've heard the anaesthetists describe the midazolam/fentanyl bolus used as induction like 'getting a large G&T', implying that it is a pleasant experience. I've also spoken to other people who have loved the feeling induced by these drugs. Not me. I hated that feeling on being right on the edge of consciousness.

Luckily I didn't seem to be prone to the nausea that opiates can cause in some people. I did seem to become massively sensitive to electric light, and I found it really hard to be in brightly lit areas. Interestingly this didn't apply to daylight. My balance was really affected and I kept getting limb jerking which I'm pretty sure was due to the drugs.

And, the constipation. Oh yes, I knew opiates caused constipation, I've managed plenty of people in hospital who are suffering from this side effect. In my own practice I never prescribe any opiate analgaesia without an antiemetic and a laxative to go with it. I myself have never suffered from constipation before. I'm active, I have a good diet, I eat lots of fibre. I'd never had to worry about not having a bowel movement.  But now, I was bed-bound, I was not eating anything much, I was dehydrated and I was taking regular oramorph. And I was, stupidly, not pro-active in preventing it.
On Wednesday (4 days since my last bowel movement) I started taking regular laxatives. I wasn't in any discomfort, but I was worried about how this might progress. On Friday, still no bowel movement, I was feeling quite 'heavy' and I added a second type of laxative to the first. On Saturday I sent Jason out to buy suppositories. Later that day I managed to finally go (without the suppositiories). It was intensely painful, exhausting and something I hope never to have to experience again.

Last resort.....
So, there you have it. Of all the side effects of drugs I have experienced, this is definitely the worst. It is comforting to know that you can take medications to correct the problem, but I will NEVER underestimate the distress that constipation is causing one of my patients ever again.

Victories:
Opening my bowels!!
Realising that this experience will definitely make me a better doctor

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you see no reaction to codeine - think I might be in the same category, but the tramadol does nothing for me either. Maybe they don't play well with the gabapentin I take. It does reduce options somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this Sarah!!!! After my hysterectomy in May 2010 I have been left with chronic pelvic pain. At my worst I was taking 30mg morphine patch PLUS 8 tramadol PLUS 8 codeine phosphate PLUS 8 paracetamol PLUS 5 spoons of oramorph in the evenings DAILY for 10 months!!!!! My body was so used to this dosage that actually in the end they did not relieve the pain at all. What helped me was 6 weeks of acupuncture on the NHS.... Now my 8/10 daily pain levels are at a 4/10.
    I also have sluggish bowels and take prucalopride (have you heard of these?), so my bowels have been rubbish for such a long time....
    I am happy to report that I am now off the tramadol, morphine patches and oramorph, and just take 4 paracetamol and 4 codeine phosphate daily, surprisingly bowels are worse now than when I was on everything else!! Have been doing slimming world for a month and I'm probably not eating as much fibre as I should be...

    Thinking of you during your recovery xxx

    ReplyDelete